Everyone wants to feel confident and attractive in their own skin. A quality, flattering wig is a great way to enhance your style and confidence.
Wigs are available in many types, including those made from human hair or synthetic hair; those with various cap constructions; wigs for women, men and children; full lace wigs or partial wigs; and hair wigs in every style and color.
People wear wigs for a variety of reasons, including hair loss, religious mandate or aesthetic preference. Whatever your reason, choosing your wig carefully and evaluating wig retailers can help you make a great purchasing decision.
With so many options available, it is important to choose the type and style that works best for you.Our guide will help you select the best wig for you and will take you through:
What You Will Learn Form This Article:
Things You Should Know Before Buying A Wig
What Is A Wig?
A wig is a head covering that’s typically made from either human hair or animal hair, although some natural hair wigs are made with synthetic fibers. The root word ‘wig’ is derived from the word ‘periwig’. The term first showed up in documented English literature around approximately 1675 AD.
Natural wigs are worn for many reasons. Some people simply want to hide their hair loss, some women use realistic wigs like apparel, as an opportunity to periodically change-up their appearance. In the film, it’s common for actors and actresses to use costume wigs to suit the characters they portray.
The Benefits Of Wearing A Wig. (Why Wear Wigs?)
- Wigs for cancer patients can conceal natural hair issues.
- Wigs for black women are convenient.
- No commitment. You can try different styles.
- Human wigs can protect your hair.
- You can save a lot of money!
- Professional performance.
- Bonus Benefit: If you take proper care of your African American wigs, you might never have a bad-hair-day again!
Questions To Consider When Choosing A Wig
Which Material Is Best For You?
The material that the wig hair is made from will affect the appearance and care of the wig. Different materials also come with different price points and longevity.
- Because they are made from real human hair, these human hair wigs for black women can be styled, washed and worn just like natural hair.
- This gives the most realistic appearance of any wig, but also means you’ll need to style it every time it gets wet and condition it regularly.
- You can also bleach or dye natural hair wigs for a different look. Look for natural hair wigs that are labeled “Remy.”
- Which indicates that the hair on the wig runs the same direction (from root to tip) as natural hair growth, which preserves the cuticle and makes the hair lay smoothly on the head without tangling badly.
- These wigs can last up to a year when worn daily, but are the most expensive wigs. Because these wigs require a lot of upkeep, people looking for low-maintenance wigs should consider a different type.
- Synthetic wigs are made from synthetic materials like nylon or the synthetic materials Toyakalon or Kanekalon.
- Even though they are not human hair, well-made synthetic wigs are often very similar to their natural counterparts. They also have the advantage of holding their style longer.
- However, synthetic hair wigs cannot be exposed to extreme heat or they will melt, which means no curling irons or straightening irons to achieve your desired style.
- Synthetic wigs often last up to six months when worn daily and are the most affordable wig option.
- Heat friendly synthetic wigs are made of synthetic fibers but can withstand high heats, usually up to 350-400 degrees.
- This allows you to style the wig using a curling or straightening iron. These wigs are a bit more
- Also called human hair blends, these wigs combine human hair with a heat friendly synthetic fiber.
- These wigs can generally withstand temperatures up to 300 degrees, which means you can style them with a curling iron or straightener. They are more affordable than natural hair wigs.
Human Hair Vs Synthetic Wig
Understanding the differences between human hair wigs and synthetic wigs is a good starting point for selecting the perfect wig. Choosing between human hair and synthetic hair is one of the most important decisions you will make when selecting a wig.
Synthetic hair wigs and human hair wigs have their own advantages and disadvantages that make them each an ideal choice at different times.
Advantages and disadvantages of Human hair or Synthetic Wig
Human Hair Wigs
- The most natural looking
- Versatile - can be styled, cut, permed or coloured
- More durable and long-lasting than synthetic wigs
- Cap constructed with hair cuticles running in same direction, reducing tangling
- Higher price, due to careful collection and processing of hair
- More expensive than synthetic hair
- Requires more care, and must be shampooed, dried, conditioned and styled
- May frizz in humid conditions.
Synthetic Hair Wigs
- Also very natural looking
- Pre-styled – convenient, and ready to wear
- Low maintenance
- More affordable than human hair wigs
- Can be serviced to extend life and restore condition
- Colour and style cannot be changed, except for parting and wearing back from face
- Heat sensitive – must be kept clear of any heat source
- Less durable than human hair wigs — synthetic wigs last about a year.
Human Hair Vs Synthetic Wig, Which Is Better?
While there are pros and cons to each type of wig, considering the following questions when deciding between a Human Hair and Synthetic Wig can help to determine which type if hair fiber to go with.
Questions you should consider:
- What is your budget?
- What type of hair loss do you have?
- Where will you wear your wig?
- How often will you wear your wig?
- Do you like to frequently change up your look?
In a word: both are great options depending on your needs and budget. Below is a comprehensive comparison of human hair wigs and synthetic hair wigs.